Saturday, May 5, 2012

Grandma's Refrigerator Pickles


My hubby loves pickles. :)

But have you read the ingredients list on that unsuspecting jar of store-bought pickles? Yikes. I honestly can't remember the last time we even bought a jar of pickles at the grocery store...these are that good!

I came across this recipe, handwritten on the age worn cover of one of my Grandma's cookbooks. My mom said she always loved Grandma's refrigerator pickles...I just knew I had to make them. And once I did, my hubby was hooked. :)

The lovely thing about this recipe is that it can be tailored just to how you want it. If you want it spicy, add peppers. Dill pickles? Add a few sprigs of dill. Garlic flavored? Sprinkle some garlic powder in or put a few garlic cloves in the mix. You can even control the sodium level, which is alarmingly high in store bought pickles.

And the best thing? It's EASY to make. My little guy loves to help make the pickles. He adores mixing the pickles and onions with the salt. He gets a kick out of pouring the vinegar mix over the pickles. And his favorite part? Shaking the jar each day until the pickles are ready (and it's only 3 days, not long at all.)

I really believe that once you try this recipe, you'll always make sure that you have a jar of pickles in the fridge that is homemade. :)

GRANDMA'S REFRIGERATOR PICKLES


7 C washed, sliced cucumbers
1 C sliced onions
1/2 Cchopped peppers of your choice (optional)
3 TBSP salt
2 C sugar
1 C vinegar
1 tsp celery seeds (optional-can use other seasoning as desired)


Put cucumbers, onions, and peppers in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for one hour; drain.


Mix sugar, vinegar, and celery seeds and pour over cucumbers. Transfer to a large jar or airtight container, and put in the refrigerator. Let stand for 3 days before enjoying, shaking once a day before enjoying. Will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months (if they last that long.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by The Midwest Barn! Leave a comment...I love hearing from the people who take the time to stop by our little corner of the Midwest! :)